If you or a loved one has suffered a severe personal injury as a result of a hit and run accident in New Jersey, Levin & Malkin will provide you with the skilled legal representation you need to win the damages you deserve. Our attorneys are knowledgeable and compassionate. Having dealt with the very same type of situation as yours many times before, we are aware of how enormous the trauma is, not only for the victim of the accident, but for the whole family.
What Causes a Hit and Run Accident?
Very rarely, a hit and run is truly unintentional, but much too often, many individuals, fearing drastic consequences such as heavy fines, jail time, driver’s license revocation, a damaged reputation, and possible job loss, flee the scene. This is especially true if the driver:
- Was impaired by alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Was driving while distracted (e.g. by an electronic device) when the accident occurred
- Already had too many moving violations (points) on his/her license and feared losing his/her primary means of transportation
- Was driving recklessly (e.g. speeding, driving while distracted)
- Was driving without a license or with a suspended or revoked one
- Was driving an unregistered or uninsured vehicle
- Is frightened about the consequences of damaging his/her reputation, particularly if he/she works as a teacher, school administrator, medical or legal professional, government official, law enforcement officer
- Has a commercial license and fears loss of employment
- Is in the country illegally and fears deportation
- Fears incarceration because of a criminal record, probation or fugitive status
Because the charges and penalties for a car accident that causes serious injury or fatality are far worse than those for an accident that results only in property damage, a person who seriously injures you is more likely to flee than one who sees that you are relatively intact. Ironically, of course, the charges the culprit is faced with will be exacerbated if she/he doesn’t stop to report the accident and/or provide aid.
Levin & Malkin Is Well-Prepared to Protect Your Rights after a Hit and Run Accident
Levin and Malkin has won millions of dollars for clients throughout Bergen, Hudson, and Passaic Counties. Over more than 30 years in practice, we have earned a high level of respect among our peers and a reputation for personalized care When you come to us, you will experience the advantages of working with a legal team with excellent training and credentials and remarkable tactical skills both in and out of the courtroom.
Tracking Down the Person Who Injured You
Years ago it was nearly impossible to locate hit and run drivers. Law enforcement had to depend on eyewitnesses for whom the unexpected collision and the brevity of the event combined to blur memory. Now, fortunately, there are several methods to pinpoint the culprit and to hold that person accountable for your medical costs and associated miseries. These innovative approaches include:
- Sophisticated ability to trace car parts and paint colors
- Innovative DNA technology and experts in the field of forensics
- Nearly ubiquitous cameras that record events in front of storefronts and on public roadways.
- Computer records that make it relatively easy to pinpoint those who own vehicles of particular makes, models, or colors
- Records kept by repair and paint shops that help locate the offender if attempts are made to repair or disguise the vehicle
It is still helpful to have witnesses who may remember a portion of the license plate or a distinguishing dent or bumper sticker to help identify the car and its driver. Even if the driver remains unknown, the legal team at Levin and Malcolm will help you to receive compensation from your uninsured/underinsured insurance policy.
We Believe in Holding the Responsible Party Accountable
Let’s face it — there is no acceptable reason for hitting a vehicle or pedestrian and leaving that person seriously injured and alone in a car or on the pavement. Whether or not the defendant is criminally prosecuted for such abominable behavior, our hit and run attorneys will fight aggressively to win you every dollar of compensatory damages you’re entitled to.
Some hit and run drivers, once caught, will insist that they were racing off to get help or that they didn’t realize that they had hit anyone. Our hit and run attorneys will work hard to hold the driver who harmed you liable for not reporting the accident at once and not attempting to assist you.
Drivers involved in hit and run accidents may be considered especially egregious, since a human being was left seriously injured, possibly dying. For this reason, our savvy attorneys may be able to win you punitive damages over and above your injury-related costs. Punitive damages are designed to punish the person who hit you and to discourage others from acting with similar disregard for human life.
Compensation We Will Seek on Your Behalf
We know that the challenges you are facing since you were injured are enormous. Whether you have suffered a fractured hip, a spinal cord or traumatic burn injury (TBI), loss of sight or hearing, serious burns, amputation or some other catastrophic injury, we will be your constant advocates. If a hit and run accident has caused the wrongful death of a loved one, you can depend on Levin & Malcolm to seek justice for you and your family.
We will fight tenaciously to obtain monetary compensation for whichever of the following apply in your case:
- Medical and rehabilitative costs
- Damaged or destroyed property
- Lost income and lost earning capacity
- Long-term nursing care
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Scarring or other disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Final medical costs, funeral expenses, loss of emotional and financial support (in cases of wrongful death)
In hit and run accidents, we are more likely to be able to prove egregious misconduct on the part of the driver who left you (perhaps dying) in your car or on the pavement. If we are, the court may offer you an award of punitive damages over and above the monies itemized above.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Hit and Run Accident Attorneys – Today – Before It’s Too Late
Being seriously injured through no fault of your own typically results in a feeling of vulnerability and loss of control. That’s why it’s so important to take action even though that’s the last thing you feel capable of. Make the action you take a productive one.
Contact Levin & Malkin as soon as you can. We will take over all insurance and legal matters while you rest and recover. More than that, we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win your case. Once you call, you will experience the relief of being backed by a strong, successful legal team that will always make your secure future our priority. Our clients are our top priority.